North American Leaders’ Summit and Canada’s Environmental Commitment Tweet Chat
The Minister of Environment and Climate Change, Catherine McKenna, answered your questions via a tweet chat on Twitter regarding the North American Leaders’ Summit, Canada’s environmental commitment and Canada-Mexico environmental cooperation.
North American Leaders’ Summit and the Environment
June 30, 2016, at 11 a.m. EDT
Handles: @ec_minister and @ministre_ec
North America Leaders' Summit
Ottawa - June 29, 2016
- During the Twitter Q&A, the Minister will tweet video responses and alternate between the English and French accounts.
- Replies will be posted in the same language as the original tweet. Responses will not be duplicated in the other official language.
- Please use the English hashtag when asking an English question and French hashtag when asking a French question.
- During the Twitter Q&A, the Minister will only answer questions about the stated topic.
- Questions will be answered only during the time period allowed for the Q&A session.
- Depending on the volume of questions received, ECCC may not be able to respond to all tweets.
A French transcript is available.
- A1. “Yesterday, we had a really great announcement! All of the goals are rooted in domestic actions. So, while we’ve talked about what we’re all going to do together, we need to be taking domestic actions; so, when we look at methane — reducing by 40 to 45% — we are already working on the regulations.” Watch the video response to cyberwuff
- A2. “So, you are right! The Paris Agreement is really key. Under the agreement, every country has to develop their plan as how they are going to tackle their emission, and that’s what we are doing right now, and we are going to be announcing our plan in the fall.” Watch the video response to cyberwuff
- A3. “So, as you saw yesterday, clearly climate change is the biggest issue we face, but it is tied to everything else. So, when we talk about species at risk, we know that we are going to see more species at risk, but also, there is a huge economic opportunity. We have said that the environment and the economy go together, so looking at how do we ensure that when we take action against climate change, we are actually growing our economy, and that’s our plan.” Watch the video response to brody_sv
- A4. “I think we just need to make sure that we have clean electricity and that we can electrify more things. So, when we do work on electric vehicles, when we look at other areas, what is most important is that we are getting clean electricity, so moving away from things like coal.” Watch the video response to brody_sv
- A6. “Absolutely! We’ve always said that the environment and the economy go together, and this is a great example of how we can provide a solution to the U.S., maybe Mexico as well. We have clean electricity; we have a lot of hydro power so there’s a real opportunity there!” Watch the video response to millymtl
- A8. “In really good news, a couple of weeks ago, we announced that we were reviewing our environmental assessment processes. It’s really important that we rebuilt trust and we ensure that we have a modern environmental system, so I hope everyone weighs in. We have the draft Terms of Reference out right now and then we will have an expert panel that will be seeking input all through the fall.” Watch the video response to SierraClubACC
- A9. “Christiana Figueres is so inspirational! She did an absolutely amazing job. Really excited to see so many women involved in the climate file, and looking forward to working with Patricia Espinosa who replaces Christiana Figueres and who’s from Mexico.” Watch the video response to ejwensing
- A10. “There were a lot of big announcements yesterday. From Mexico, seeing them agree to our 50% clean energy plan was a really big deal. Also, signing on to the 40 to 45% reductions in emissions for methane, also really big. And it’s really good to see that they are looking at market mechanisms too to address climate change.” Watch the video response to Ghoti20
- Thank you all for your great questions, love hearing from you! #NALSchat
- “WOW! Time flies! Le temps est allé très vite! J’aime beaucoup vous entendre. I really enjoyed hearing from you. Please make sure you provide us with your climate change solutions. Je veux entendre vos solutions. Merci!” Watch the video response to all the participants
- Date modified: